Honour Specialist (Chemistry)
Course Code: YU20HCH1
In this course, you will examine your values, perceptions and knowledge about the teaching, learning and education leadership in chemistry. You will build on this understanding through professional readings, developing interesting new ways of teaching, discussions, ongoing analysis and reflection. These learning experiences will provide the basis for your understanding of current pedagogy in the teaching of chemistry, as well as enable you to prepare to implement change in your school environment. You will look closely at a variety of instructional strategies as well as your role as a leader and a facilitator of change. By deepening your understanding of professional communities of practice you will solidify your own ability to be a strong communicator and mentor/coach to assist your teacher colleagues in adopting a strong vision for the teaching of chemisty in Ontario schools. This course supports the following foundations of professional practice for the teaching profession: Teaching Practice, Ongoing Professional Development, Professional Knowledge, and Commitment to Students.
- Be a member in good standing with the OCT
- FOUR-year (20 full courses) academic undergraduate degree, (excluding education courses)
- NINE full courses (non-education) in the subject of the Honour Specialist (Chemistry), with a minimum B average
- Minimum TWO years certified teaching experience by the first day of the course, subsequent to certification including at least ONE year in Chemistry
- Signed Supervisory Officer's Form by course end date confirming teaching experience Official transcript(s) sent directly to the Professional Learning Office from the granting institution before course start date
This 125 hour course consists of 100 hours of interactive coursework and 25 hours of independent learning. Regular and relevant candidate participation is a requirement. Expect to be online at least every second day for Fall, Winter and Spring courses; and every weekday during a Summer course to complete assignments and collaborate in discussion forums. All deadlines will be communicated by the Instructor.